chunky holiday cookies
Every year around the holidays, J asks when we are going to have the 'chunky cookies'. He calls them chunky because they are a traditional chocolate chip cookie base full of semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips (optional), cranberries, and nuts. Every time you take a bit of these cookies, they are full of flavour and you get a little bit of everything. They are also super easy to make and last a very long time in a sealed container. They are the perfect cookie to make for the holidays because not only do they take Christmas-y, they look the part as well!
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup brown sugar
1 cup softened butter
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup white chocolate chips (optional)
1 cup dried cranberries
½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
2 ½ tsp vanilla
- PREP IT. Preheat the oven to 350° F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- COMBINE THE DRY INGREDIENTS. In a large bowl, sift together the baking soda, flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
- MIX IT UP. Using your mixer, cream the butter for about 1 minute until soft and fluffy. Then add the sugars and mix for another 1-2 minutes. The ingredients should be very light. On a slow setting, gently mix in the eggs, one at a time, and then the vanilla. Once all the ingredients are thoroughly combined, slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix together well.
- ADD THE GOODIES. Remove the bowl from the mixer, and add in the chocolate chips, nuts, and cranberries, stirring together with a wooden spoon. Continue to fold in the dough, ensuring that all the goodies are spread throughout the mixture. Then roll into 2 inch balls and place on the lined baking sheet. Gently press and spread with a spoon or fork.
- BAKE & ENJOY. Bake the cookies for about 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the edges. Remove from the oven and leave on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes. Then transfer to a wire baking rack and allow to sit for at least 10-15 minutes. Store cookies in air-tight container.
Love this recipe? Share it!