steak & hash.
Adapted from Good Food.
It is not hard to convince either of us to eat steak for dinner ... or anytime really. A nicely barbecued steak on the grill is one of our favourite meals to share together, while talking about our day and all of life's adventures. Recently, we had the opportunity to try a steak and hash recipe, combining a summer vegetable hash with a nice, smokey steak. Together the sweetness of the vegetables and the flavour of the medium-rare steak created a fresh and beautiful dish that would be worthy of any backyard barbecue or dinner party. The best part is that it was so easy to make - cut and bake some vegetables and BBQ a steak ... voila!
2 medium beef medallions
3 cloves of garlic
3 small to medium zucchinis
1 1/3 cup sweet potatoes, diced
2 large sweet peppers
1 bunch of chives
1/2 tbsp BBQ seasoning
- PREP IT. Preheat your BBQ on medium-high (or your grilling pan on the stove). Peel and slice the shallot into thin rounds, and then mince the garlic. Zest and juice the lemon. Small dice the zucchini and sweet peppers. Peel and slice the sweet potatoes into small pieces. Finally, thinly slice the chives.
- START THE HASH. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and shallots, stirring often for about 8 minutes. Once those ingredients are lightly browned, add the zucchini, sweet peppers and garlic to the pan, cooking for 4 minutes. Continue stirring until the potatoes are tender, then add salt and pepper for flavour.
- 'CUE THE STEAK. While the hash is cooking, season the steaks with your favourite BBQ spice blend. Place them on the barbecue (or pan with a drizzle of olive oil) and cook for no more than 3-5 minutes on each side. Once the steaks are at your desired doneness, set aside and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- CREATE A VINAIGRETTE. While the steak is resting, mix together 1/2 the chives, the lemon juice and zest with 3 tbsp of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- FINISH & SERVE. Gently plate the hash onto each plate and drizzle with a spoonful of the vinaigrette. Slice the steak into pieces and place on top of the hash. Garnish the dish with the remaining chives and serve. Enjoy!
Love this recipe? Share it!